Tuesday, October 2, 2012

Eggs Benedict: They're Easier Than You Think

Did you know that Eggs Benedict is the easiest, most delicious breakfast egg thing in the world? Okay, so I still have a very special place in my heart for my Curry Fried Egg and Toast with Honeyed Goat Cheese concoction, but this now ranks in the top three egg things that I can make myself. 





I've always loved Eggs Benedict but for years I've been terrified to try poaching eggs and had always heard that hollandaise sauce is super finicky. This morning a surprise visit from Hannah and her little one Leland inspired me to give the whole thing a try. Happily I found that the recipe was very straightforward and called for standard ingredients that I always have in the kitchen.

I do think that using high-quality eggs from our own chickens helped with the poaching. Really, having good eggs (pastured is best! free range is next best) is key to any egg recipe being extra delicious. The whites barely got stringy at all and held together marvelously in the water. They had an almost fluffy texture. I left the eggs in the water for an extra minute (5 minutes total) because I like a little runny yolk but not too much. 

I steamed some asparagus and sauteed some spinach and smothered it all with Hollandaise sauce. The Hollandaise was salty and tangy and creamy and just overall perfect. And EASY. So easy. I made it first and let it sit while I poached the eggs.

Here's the recipes that I used -- go forth and poach yourself an egg! I feel so empowered from this accomplishment that I just might clean the whole house from top to bottom (or at least do a load of laundry).

Easy Poached Eggs
Easy Hollandaise Sauce

1 comment: