Wednesday, June 20, 2012

Fruits and Veggies

Since Monday, I've eaten corn (technically & nutritionally a starch, but imma count it for now), frozen blueberries & raspberries, tomatoes, avocado, zucchini, apples, pineapple, snow peas (the last from our little garden - the rest gave up the ghost and finally surrendered to the heat, along with the spinach), watermelon, and carrots. We've also got pears, grapes, kale, parsnips, and homegrown green beans waiting in the fridge.

The best part? I only spent $58 on groceries for the week. Now, part of that is because we've got a surplus of meat in the freezer that we'll be pulling from this week, but part of it is just learning to stretch our food dollars while buying mostly organic. Our general budget, which we have by no means been sticking to strictly, has been to spend about $75 on food groceries and $35 a week on eating in restaurants.

Maybe sometime soon I'll start documenting how we keep our grocery bill down while eating fairly healthily. Now that I'm an iPhone(4) user, I'm using an app called Expensify to take pictures of receipts and categorizing spending. Just a fancy way of tracking what we spend without having to keep up with receipts - which, I've recently learned, may be hazardous to hold on to.

What fruits and veggies have you been excited about eating this week?

1 comment:

  1. I love your journey :) I am hoping to find some peppers and onions at this week's markets for fajitas we are cooking for our family supper on Sunday, with local meat as well. And I need to find some local peaches for a cobbler for my dad. A Belated Father's Day treat.

    ReplyDelete